Spray foam insulation is a handy product to use to get at those hard-to-reach places and gaps around your windows and doors that allow the outside air to prevent your home from staying cozy warm in the winter and cool in the summer. This product is under-pressure in an aerosol can. When you apply it, it expands and hardens in around 24 hours. However, preventing drafts in your home is just one of many good uses for spray foam insulation.
1. To seal the space between your eaves and soffit and your attic. That gap between your attic and the eaves/soffit can led in a lot of outside air as well as give small animals like squirrels and field mice the opportunity to enter your home. Spray foam insulation is an easy way to seal this small gap and make your home more comfortable and secure.
2. To fill in the gaps around your windows and doors. Spray foam insulation can also be helpful in making sure that no air escapes from around your window and door frames.
3. To prevent air from escaping around your pipes and ductwork. Yet another good use for spray foam insulation is to seal those tiny gaps around where your plumbing exits your building or where vents connect with the exterior of your home. In addition, spray foam insulation can be useful in keeping your HVAC ducts well sealed, so that they channel the conditioned air directly from your HVAC units to your living spaces.
4. To help with your landscaping. Piles or cascades of rocks look inviting in your back yard. However, these piles can come lose as the ground shifts and the soil erodes. This is especially a problem around ponds or backyard water features. A thin layer of spray foam insulation can help hold your rocks in place and won't be damaged by flowing water or rain.
5. For shipping fragile items. Not all good uses for spray foam involve your home. This product is also very useful when shipping fragile objects. You can simply spray a bed of foam directly into the shipping container, insert the object and top it off with another layer of foam. This hardens to create a cushion for your object that can easily be peeled away when the package is unwrapped at its destination.
Spray foam insulation belongs in any homeowner's tool kit. This easy to use product can help seal those hard-to-reach areas, make your attic impenetrable to small animals and even help ensure that the items you ship arrive intact.