Wherever there is moisture, there is mold. If mold has become a problem in your home, consider your removal options. In many situations, mold can be dealt with by yourself, as long as safety takes precedence. For larger removals, or those dealing with black mold, it is important to call in professionals who have experience in the proper removal of mold.
Determine the Type of Mold You're Dealing With
Mold of any kind can be harmful to human beings. While there are some molds that can produce fatal spores, all mold can cause allergic rhinitis and other reactions in certain individuals. For those with asthma or who are immunodeficient, upper respiratory infections can become a problem when they come into constant contact with mold.
All mold should be dealt with in the same manner—promptly and with caution. Proper gear—such as gloves and masks—should be worn when removing or otherwise disturbing mold. In many situations, mold can be dealt with by the homeowner. There is one exception: Black mold. This mold can be home to millions of mycotoxins and should be dealt with only be professionals.
Determine the Cause of the Mold
While certain mold problems can be dealt with without the help of professionals, knowing the cause of the mold can help you to decide whether you can do the job alone or not.
If contaminated water is the cause of your mold issue, you will want to call in a professional who has dealt with such a situation. Sewage and other kinds of contaminated water bring with it the risk of major health issues for those who come into contact with it. Add mold to the equation and you've been hit with a double whammy.
If the cause was a minor leakage that was repaired, you may be able to deal with the removal on your own. Consider the size of the affected area and plan accordingly. For areas that are less than 10 square feet, removal should be simple and probably won't require professional intervention.
Know Your Limitations
It is important to consider what you can and cannot handle in terms of complete mold removal. There are certain situations that should be handled by professionals, such as mold in your HVAC system.
When left alone, mold is generally harmless. Only when it is disturbed are spores released which can cause health issues for those sensitive to it. With central air, air currents will continually disturb the mold, dispersing millions of spores throughout your home. If you believe there is mold in your HVAC system, do not use it until the issue is properly dealt with.
Mold spores are everywhere. Only when it is allowed to settle and grow will a problem result. If you have found mold in your home, consider the kind of mold, the initial cause, and the size of the project. If you don't feel up to the task of safely and properly removing mold from your home, it is important that you call in mold removal professionals.